Little Kulala is situated in Sossusvlei, Namibia. It is a luxurious desert retreat situated in a private Wilderness Reserve in the Sossusvlei region. The magnificent Sossusvlei is the gateway to Namibia's Sand Sea, with huge towering red dunes and bright starry African skies. Experience the ancient beauty of the breathtaking Namib Desert at Little Kulala Camp, the only lodge with direct access to the Sossusvlei desert of Namibia.
Little Kulala Private Plunge Pool View
About Little Kulala
With glowing sunsets and vast red dunes, Little Kulala Camp lies within Sossusvlei, on the edge of the Namib-Naukluft Park, one of the largest wildlife reserves in Southern Africa. Sossusvlei is situated within the Namib Desert, the oldest desert in the world, which itself is part of the Namib Naukluft National Park that stretches 400km south of Walvis Bay. It is sandwiched between the west coast and the escarpment that runs parallel more than 100km inland. Its huge dunes and flat valley floors make up the archetypal view of the Namib that is so famous. This luxury safari camp in the heart of the Namib Desert boasts spectacular landscapes of vast red dunes, rocky mountain outcrops, and grassy African plains. Just 5 hours’ drive from Windhoek International Airport, Little Kulala is a magical safari experience. Situated on a private game reserve that is teeming with life, many species have specially adapted to the unique conditions, and offer exotic wildlife encounter opportunities.
Luxury Accommodation at Little Kulala
Accommodation at Little Kulala consists of 11 climate-controlled, thatched “kulalas” (meaning ‘to sleep’) which merge impeccably into the timeless desert landscape. The interiors have been designed to provide an all-natural and unique experience in this most beautiful environment. The extensive use of neutral colours, gorgeous textures, and plenty of natural light, reproduces soothing pastel tones of the desert. Pure linens, cottons and mohair dyed with natural vegetable dyes all make for a very organic camp which takes its inspiration from its surroundings, notably from the magnificent Dead Vlei in the middle of Sossusvlei. The overall mood and feel is cool, serene, organic and sheltering. Each luxurious chalet features exquisite fittings and fixtures, with a large private deck and innovative and a plunge pool. A private rooftop ‘skybed’ provides romantic stargazing, each kulala is also equipped with both indoor and outdoor showers. A luxuriously rustic desert experience, Little Kulala is a timeless and exotic retreat.
Little Kulala Room Deck
Little Kulala Rooftop Sleepout
Little Kulala Activities & Attractions
A luxurious desert retreat, Little Kulala has spared no detail, and offers an elegant entertainment area which includes a library, wine cellar, craft boutique, lounge and dining areas. Guests will have the magical option of dining under the starry African sky. The surrounding terrain offers a spectacular backdrop to explore, featuring:
- Desert-adapted wildlife such as ostrich, springbok and gemsbok eke can be seen graxing the plains
- Smaller creatures such as bat-eared fox and aardwolf can be spotted at night, in the cool desert air.
- A birders haven, the Dune Lark is endemic to this region, and has its entire global distribution limited to this area
- Guided drives to the spectacular towering dunes of Sossusvlei, through a private gate into the reserve.
- Guided drives and walks are also offered within the private Kulala Wilderness Reserve offering incredible views, and desert-adapted wildlife and plants.
- Another option, at an extra cost, is early morning ballooning, beginning at first light. The balloon safari offers a truly unique experience to soar silently above the magnificent sand dunes and desert, with a champagne breakfast being served at your landing site.
Guests traveling through South Africa may like to try one of Greatest Africa’s private wine tours in the exquisite Cape Region. Our exclusive tours are guided by boutique wine producer Richard Hilton, of Richard Hilton Vineyards, who is also the founder and MD of Greatest Africa.
Little Kulala Hot Air Balloon
Little Kulala Game