Dating back to 1692, this Cape Dutch farm embraces well-being wholeheartedly. The garden is at the heart of Babylonstoren as it supplies the restaurant, produce for shop and provides the setting for the accommodation. Babylonstoren is a one-of-a-kind farm that turns everything into a work of art. Go see for yourself!
The owners Karen Roos and Koos Bekker have cultivated more than 300 plants with medicinal or edible properties. Its interiors are a blend of contemporary aesthetics and furnishings as well as preserved 18th century Cape Dutch furniture. According to House and Leisure, the Cape Dutch Homestead “has not so much [been] restored as reinvigorated’. Karen Roos who oversaw the renovations made sure the original paint colours were matched and the rooms repainted.
Babylonstoren is a one of the oldest Cape Dutch farm in the Cape Winelands and it’s a unique place. It welcomes day visitors to explore its artistically and world-famous gardens, enjoy the on-site restaurants, wine tastings and spa. Guests who want to overnight and make the working farm their home can choose from three room types: Farmhouse Suite, One-bedroom Suite and the Cottages.
The accommodation is separate and private to the day visitors’ areas. All guests have access to an outdoor swimming pool, lounge area and a hot spa, which includes a salt room, sauna and vitality pool.
There are things to do for guests at Babylonstoren itself or in the surrounding Cape Winelands and Franshoek area. Franschhoek is the Gourmet Capital of South Africa, with a huge range of delightful activities to enjoy, to name a few:
- Go on a Babylonstoren garden tour at 10am (note: these can be about 3 km long) that end at the Greenhouse where guests can enjoy tea and a bite to eat
- Wine tasting at Babylonstoren of their own wines or guided cellar tour at 12pm
- Dine at the on-site restaurants Greenhouse or award-winning Babel (make an appointment for Babel as it can be booked up for up to 2 months)
- Wine tasting at nearby farms in the Franschhoek valley
- Private wine tastings and cellar tours
- Championship golf courses situated in close proximity to Franschhoek – Pearl Valley Golf Estate, Erinvale Golf Estate, Devonvale Golf & Wine Estate and De Zalze Golf Estate are a few to choose from
- Hot air ballooning in nearby Paarl
- Trout fishing
- Hiking or mountain biking in the nearby reserve
Greatest Africa was founded in the Greater Cape Area of South Africa, and offers private wine tours in the exquisite Cape Region. Our exclusive tours are guided by boutique wine producer Richard Hilton, of Richard Hilton Vineyards, who is also the founder and MD of Greatest Africa.
Request a quote!