Planning a beach holiday in Cape Town? Affectionately known as the Mother City, this urban hub was named the design capital of the world in 2014. Cape Town is now one of the trendiest global cities, with travelers of all kinds flocking from all corners. Despite all of the unique and wondrous attractions, Cape Town’s magnificent rocky shoreline is one of the most sought after. The perfect platform for a beach holiday to remember, Cape Town itself lies on a peninsula, which means it is, by definition, “almost an island”. Dotted with white sandy beaches, Cape Town will never disappoint, when it comes to a seaside stay, and the gorgeous sunrises and sunsets across the water.
The Atlantic seaboard is a top seaside attraction, just outside the City Centre, providing the perfect platform for peaceful watercolor sunsets, and nearby city sightseeing. Bantry Bay is a prestigious residential area, with glorious views over the Atlantic Ocean. Here are our top 2 recommendations for a top class Bantry Bay escape:
- Ellerman House – Once the stately home of distinguished shipping magnates Sir John and Lady Ellerman, Ellerman House enjoys breath-taking panoramic views over the Atlantic coastline and Robben Island.
- Clarendon – Nestled on a unique cliff-side location in a quiet area of Cape Town, over-looking the Atlantic Ocean and Robben Island in the far distance. Clarendon Bantry Bay exhudes a relaxing and up-lifting feeling.
Just a stone’s throw from Bantry Bay, lies the famed Camps Bay strip, a vibey and upmarket seaside town, with white sandy beaches, bright blue breakers, and a myriad of restaurants, boutiques, and night clubs to explore. Camps Bay is an ideal Cape Town retreat, just outside the hustle and bustle of the city, but within easy reach of top Cape attractions. Here are our top 3 recommendations for a Camps Bay stay:
- The Bay Hotel – Situated on the Camps Bay strip, overlooking the Atlantic Seaboard on one side, and the Twelve Apostles Mountain range on the other. The Bay Hotel possesses all the sophisticated charm and style that one expects of a five star hotel.
- Camps Bay Retreat – Located just above Camps Bay in Cape Town, this is a sanctuary away from the bustling town, set in 4 hectares of lush reserve, with beautiful views over the sparkling Atlantic Ocean below.
- The Twelve Apostles – Named after the dramatic mountainous backdrop, this award winning and family run hotel is beautifully positioned so that the vast expanse of the Atlantic Ocean can be viewed from most rooms.
Enjoy your privacy and independence? Here are 2 luxurious self-catering apartment options, both set in the glorious town of Camps Bay:
- The Glen Apartments – Set in the stunning seaside town of Camps Bay, a stones throw from the colorful city of Cape Town, overlooking the breath-taking Atlantic with the twelve apostles and Lions Head mountain range as a backdrop.
- The Crystal Camps Bay – Luxurious self-catering apartments, conveniently set overlooking the panoramic scenes of the Atlantic, with spectacular sunsets, a magnificent mountain backdrop, and a stone’s throw from breath-taking beaches.
While you are enjoying your beach holiday in Cape Town, between sunbathing and sipping cocktails, there are a few attractions that are a “must” to see or do. Here are our top 10 suggestions:
- Climb or take the cable car up the Natural wonder of Table Mountain.
- Visit the V & A waterfront, for jam packed shopping and entertainment.
- Swim with African Penguins at Boulders beach and take a peninsula tour.
- Exhilarating shark cage diving just outside of Cape Town.
- World famous whale watching in the whale watching capital of Hermanus.
- Visit the historical Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was incarcerated.
- Visit the magnificent Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens.
- City and Township Tours.
- Winelands Tours – Try a Private Wine Tour with Boutique Wine producer and MD of Greatest Africa, Richard Hilton.
- World Class Golfing at Steenberg or Clovelly, or one of many other nearby estates. Read our expert advice on Golfing in the Cape.
Looking for some delectable local cuisine to try? Cape Town is brimming with eateries to suit every taste. Here are Greatest Africa’s top 5 fine dining picks:
- La Mouette – Excellent food and fine wines.
- The Test Kitchen – Creative cooking in a distinctive contemporary space.
- The Foodbarn – Delicious and decadent ‘fine-dining’ style food in a relaxed and characterful old barn.
- Aubergine – Timeless elegance where diners can enjoy innovative and creative combinations.
- Bombay Brasserie – The finest Indian cuisine at the Taj.
Greatest Africa was founded in the greater Cape area – Our team are veteran Capetonians, and on the ground experts, ready to share prized local insights. Contact us today to book your dream beach holiday in Cape Town!